Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Scent for a dental procedure

It is possible to overthink things.

I know this.  I know it in my head, in my heart, in my gut.

That said, I am proceeding with this post.

You see, I found myself facing 1-2 hours in an endodontist's chair.  I am not a fan of any form of dentist, though my current dentist is affable enough and seems to be competent.  It's not him; it's me.  I don't like procedures going on in my mouth, I've got a troublesome gag reflex, I don't like catching flies.  My mouth is small.  Sometimes it hurts.  Once, in my youth, a dentist removed an "extra" permanent tooth, and made a joke about saving it for a transplant.  I believed him.  I still do.  Which irks me, because, strangely, I still have a baby tooth in the *same quadrant* of my mouth.  "Extra"?  Hmmmmm.  But I digress.

(Going off on tangents is NOT overthinking.  Don't worry; I'll get there.)

So, over an hour in the chair, pretending to be calm.  Just fine.  A perfect time for a comfort scent.  Except not.  Because...two people other than myself will be sharing my personal space.  And I'm a courteous person, who doesn't wish to make them uncomfortable for half of an afternoon.  Plus, I'm a practical person.  It wouldn't really be in my interest to have people wielding drills, needles, swabs, tweezers, and the like, finding themselves unhappy, or queasy, or uncomfortable as they dangle said weapons tools within inches of my face and gaping mouth, would it now?

On top of that, I'll be compromised when it comes to comfort huffing.  No putting the wrist to the nose for a relaxing snarfle.  No applying enough to the throat to send wafts my way...what merely "wafts" to me might be oppressive to someone else.  Not even behind my ears, for the same reason.

Which means I have to both waft to suit me, but not waft too much.   If that can be done.

But wait, there's more:  If I'm really considering the angles, there's the whole "do I want them to be comfortable?  Or alert?"  Better to be alert, of course.  But not too much so; a little relaxing is good.  Aware, but relaxed.  That's a good zone.  Good for all of us.

(Right around now is where you might think I'm overthinking the whole thing.  I would beg to differ, but we can take this up later.)

Ambers are therefore out.  Too much comfort, not enough focus.  Chypres are out.  Too much danger of seeming off-putting or distracting attention.  Florals don't even flitter across the screen.  (FOCUS, people; pretty has nothing to do with this purpose!)  Cologne-like somethings might be good...naw...no waft from that by the time I arrive.  And then my mind's eye sees the bottle before I can even articulate how/why it could be just the thing.

Poor thing.  It's been tucked away, one of the ones I keep in a box in the semi-accessible space.  That's right; I've got current rotation, deep storage, and something in between.  (Again, you might think this is overthinking, but it makes selection that much easier.  For me.)  Mint green, with silver raised print.  See, even the color is settling with a hint of focus.  I can smell it in my head, and I think that's probably it.  Spritz once before showering to make sure.  Which is kind of funny, given that my wrists were hosting a 1980's retro-session for my early in the day routine.  Funny, because this scent is all this decade.

Gentle touch, but carries just enough.  Never overpowering, but good lasting power.  A spank of citrus to sharpen your mind, but iris to provide comfort without somnambulance.  It was everywhere for a while...on people, on the blogs.  But haven't heard much about it in a couple of seasons.

Prada.  Infusion d'Iris.
Just right.

***
I'm back now.  All is well.  And I didn't really waft, but I *was* pretty relaxed.  Who knows if it was enough trace of scent, or simply being confident in my choice.  Or maybe Masters of Guitar on my iPod.

I can huff it still, *if* I raise my arm to my nose.  Very nice.  We'll see if it still works after all the anesthetic wears off.

I'm happy.

(If it all comes down to that, I can't be a horrible overthinker.  Right?)

18 comments:

DWR said...

Yes, what hilarious timing. Infusion d'Iris tends to spend a lot of time in my "middle use" section as well. I don't often think of it, until I do, and then I want it right then. The fact that it's a really nice scent you can buy BUCKETS of for pennies on the dollar also makes it a nice go to for days when I might be doing suck glamorous things as say, cleaning the bathroom, but still want to smell nice to myself.

And, btw, what some people call 'overthinking' I just call appropriate planning. :)

ScentScelf said...

Thanks, D. I knew somebody would understand! ;)

I feel kind of sheepish...a couple of times recently, I've responded to people asking what scents fit an underappreciated/generally trustworthy/good for the price point vibe. Not once did Infusion d'Iris come to mind. Talk about stealth...nary a blip on the radar screen. Maybe it'll appreciate the love I'm giving it today.

Maybe it's wondering how long until my feeble fickle mind forgets it again...

Carol said...

I just sniffed that today! Glad your procedure went tell.

ScentScelf said...

Thanks, F. There's more to come in the dental work, but I won't bother blogging about it.

How did Infusion d'Iris strike you? Love? Hate? Meh? Other?

Carol said...

I just have them pull my bad teeth...that's probably totally old-school hick (unless it was my front teeth...then I would think about it). I would like to hear about your dental excavations.

I liked Infusion...a lot. But I do like Prada, and I'm one of the few that likes Prada Tendre.

Ines said...

:)
I don't think it's overthinking (but then again people do tend to tell me I overthink stuff too).
You were absolutely right to give this enough thought not to bother the people who are close to your mouth and might be tempted to sneeze from the wafting perfume. :)
Now, when I come home, I'll try my Infusion d'Iris decant (it's been out of use for quite some time).

ScentScelf said...

BF,

The new Tuberose is getting some positive attention; I'm curious to try that one, and find out what you think, as well.

Ach, the "other" work is just a continuation of the same process. Modern dentistry + cavity in an adult mouth = 2-3 different professionals attending to one tooth. One for the roots, another to extract a wisdom tooth, another to do the crown. Faith and begorra, your approach seems a bit simpler now, doesn't it?

ScentScelf said...

Ines,

I think I catch my overthinking half the time. And would vigorously defend half of the remaining half. :)

Hope your return to Infusion d'Iris proves to be a pleasant reacquaintance.

Musette said...

Are you doing okay today? Post-op is always tricky.

You know I can't comment on the efficacy of PdI, as I can't smell it. Funnily enough, when I was reading your post I though "oooh! she's gonna wear Charms and Leaves!!"



still no love there, huh?

xo

Anonymous said...

Glad the dentistry went okay. And is *over*, at least for now. (In the past two years, I've had to have TWO cracked molars pulled. Apparently I spent years grinding my teeth in my sleep, and I've paid the price. Dental implants coming up this summer, I think.)

Id'I is such a pleasant, comfortable thing - smooth as suede, attractive, close to the skin, unlikely to offend the sensitive... and somehow, manages not to bore me. I should wear it more often.

Anonymous said...

Glad the dentistry went okay. And is *over*, at least for now. (In the past two years, I've had to have TWO cracked molars pulled. Apparently I spent years grinding my teeth in my sleep, and I've paid the price. Dental implants coming up this summer, I think.)

Id'I is such a pleasant, comfortable thing - smooth as suede, attractive, close to the skin, unlikely to offend the sensitive... and somehow, manages not to bore me. I should wear it more often.

Anonymous said...

Oops, multiple comment post... sorry. 'Puter hiccup.

Rose said...

glad you survived- I so hate the dentist, I know it's not rational and I know they are helping but it's just awful

ScentScelf said...

Musette,

Yup, you and the way iris is not even a haunting. My usual comment applies...I am SO sorry...here, spritz me...

(...and, of course, I'll give you another shot of nearly any of my aldehydes, which I am still playing cat and mouse with.)

Aw, mouth is fine. Mostly sore from holding it open so darn long. Obviously, I spend more time yapping in print that with my chompers...if the ratio were switched, I might be entirely fine. ;)

ScentScelf said...

Muses,

That's just it! IdI can be inobtrusive, inoffensive, and yet not boring. I think Mandragore can be that way, too; come to think of it, maybe I'll wear that for Tooth Drama, Part II: Post & Crown.

I'd whine about being a grown up...but if I hadn't reached this stage, I wouldn't be here writing about perfume and such. It's all good. :)

BOO!!! (That was to help with the hiccups. ;) )

ScentScelf said...

Rose,

Thanks. You're right; they mean no harm. I still whimper a little. :)

MommyHeadache said...

What about sedation dentistry - I'm always tempted until I think about the odd perv dentist who would probably cop a feel while I was out!

ScentScelf said...

Oh, Emma...I would be most happy to try the laughing gas. In fact, I tried to persuade the endo-dude. Even flashed my "hey, I gave birth without drugs, can I have them now?" license. No go.

As for those who would take advantage...harumph. That's a bad thought. I think I should say I'm *nearly* equally outraged at the idea of having that healthy permanent tooth taken away with no recompense. Really? REALLY?? Are you SURE that was "extra," oh "I see you still have a baby tooth" professional?

Welcome to the blog, btw. :)