Here's a spare model, which clearly could use some developing:
- Lake Erie*, retention period 2.6 years = Flower waters (rose, jasmine)
- Lake Ontario*, 6 years = Guerlain Eau de Cologne
- Lake Huron**, 22 years = Liz Zorn Sunset Rider, Chanel Bois des Iles
- Lake Michigan**, 99 years = Givency Amarige, Lanvin Arpege
- Lake Superior*, 191 years = Guerlain Shalimar
Feel free to help me out here! Which perfumes are you still wearing the next morning (=Lake Superior); which are gone before the cocktail hour--which we know is 3 hours--is over?
retention periods gathered from *The Great Lakes Atlas, www.epa.gov/ginpo/atlas/, or the Wikipedia entry on "lake retention," www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_retention_time