Saturday, October 25, 2008

Strange Huffing Effects: L'Heure Bleue

Do you have any L'Heure Bleu around? Even an eetsy bit? Will join me in an experiment?

I could swear that repetitive huffs--well, stronger than a wee sniff, not quite as dramatic as a full huff, but certainly each in a row without drawing back--result in instant morphing when it's L'Heure Bleu that's beneath your sniffer.

It starts with that powdery, vaguely Playdough scent that has been so frequently described. But right away, on the second huff, flowers start coming out. Sniff three, it's all floral, and sniff four, the flowers have gone sweet. So then, if you leave and come back quickly, it's flavored Playdough--flavored with floral infusion. If you wait, you need to go back to "Go" and start over.

Maybe it's just today. Maybe it's just the edp. (The nice sales rep gave me a sample decant of Eau de Parfum to try, since they did not have parfum. They did have Nahema, Vol du Nuit, and Samsara in parfum however.) I've been circling around this classic for almost nine months now, but this is the first time I've found this effect. I must admit, however, that I've become more liberal in both my spraying and my huffing, especially on return visits.

Let me know. If you try to call, let it ring a few times before giving up...I'm gonna have my nose stuck to my wrist a lot, and it might take me a moment to get away.

4 comments:

The Daily Connoisseur said...

That is so funny that you get the playdough effect from L'heure bleu... that's the first time I've heard someone else say that and I was thinking I was crazy when I ultimately put my thumb (or nose, rather) on what the mystery note smelled like! lol. I will wear my sample today in honor of you...

ScentScelf said...

Aw, thanks... ;)

I had a wonderful time wearing it all day yesterday. I sense more in my future....

Anonymous said...

Yep. I've had the same experience. Except that the Play-doh comes back, takes over everything else, and pretty soon it's all I smell.

(sob) I SO wanted to like L'Heure Bleu! But, since then, I've realized that all heliotropes do that on my skin.

ScentScelf said...

:( All Play-doh and no contrast makes L'Heure Bleu a dull scent. I share a sob with you.

A heliotropic effect, eh? Probably good to know where one's Achilles' heels are, including in the realm of scent.