Saturday, December 6, 2008

Fawning over fauns

Drat.  My so-called real life has interfered with my pretensions at paganism.  Yesterday was Faunus.  (Thanks to Tea, Sympathy and Perfume for reminding me.)

Perhaps the blanket of snow covering the ground this week also distracted me from dirty woods celebrations?  Hmmm.  It's pretty outside, but winter has so arrived.

In honor of faunus, woods, crops, dancing, merrymaking...with a plonk of snow over top...I conjure some layers:
  • Black March + Iris Bleu Gris  (that gives you the earth, hint of woods, skank of faun and dancing, with iris serving as the cold note of snow)
Pause.  Uh-oh.  My plan was to list three combinations.  Then ask you for more.  I'm stuck, because most of the earth in perfume I've encountered has a sense of the opening of spring, rather than the end/closing of things as you approach the winter solstice.  

So, I'll put this one up, and add in ideas as they come...or as they are offered.  (Please, offer.  I'm not just stuck--I'm curious.)

***
On a side note, some rather scary character apparently accompanied Santa Claus/Saint Nicholas across Switzerland yesterday.  Looks like Faunus clear reverberates in this tradition. In a nice twist for perfume fans, Andy Tauer has incorporated a discussion of this Schutzli character into the advent calendar he is keeping on his blog.  There's other fun going on there as well...

10 comments:

Nancy said...

My brain is all fogged up from cold medicine, so I'm a little slow on the layering ideas. But, the faunus reminds me of the Austrian horned creature, the krampus, who has his day today. The theme is so prevalent all over Europe. Migration of symbols through trade? Common experience? Jungian archetypes? Who knows? But, it's interesting to think about.

ScentScelf said...

Nancy,
Ah, so the krampus crosses into Switzerland and becomes the schutzli, crosses the Channel and becomes a faunus...it is interesting, isn't it? And then there's the Green Man and the faun thing to just echo throughout the year. (Wanders off, chin in hand....)

vicki archer said...

This is so interesting - I cannot believe you know all these scents and can layer them up like that. xv

Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to think of combinations. Unfortunately, everything I'm coming up with is awful. Consider Frederic Malle Dans tes Bras + Dior Bois d'Argent. Ick.

Since the horned being was eventually incorporated into Christianity in the form of Satan, could we add a little fire and brimstone to our layering possibilities? Or, did you want to keep this strictly pagan?

Nancy

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Hmmm... Infusion d'Iris? This always reminds me of wet earth after a rainstorm...

Unknown said...

If you want read more about scary santa clauses I highly recommend you get a hold of David Sedaris's hilarious short story observation about the many varieties of Santa (too bad I can't remember the title of the story.)

ScentScelf said...

Vicki,
I am way early in the learning curve...there are those who can whip up lists of this kind and that effect without breaking a sweat. But it can be a fun game to play...

ScentScelf said...

Nancy,
Feel free to go beyond pagan...it is about layering, after all. ;)
BTW, do you think FM L'eau d'hiver would give an iciness? I've not smelled it, but am wondering about that one based on some reading...

ScentScelf said...

Daily,
Interesting. What to add to Infusion d'Iris to add the presence of humans making merry? Thinking...

ScentScelf said...

Jen,
I *have* read Sedaris' elven account of department store Santas...am chuckling a bit as I write...Santaland Diaries, I think?